Wednesday, April 13, 2011

People

I love people, I really do.
I especially love helping people in need when I can.

But some people... some say and do some of the dumbest things.

Like filing a disability claim for their 10 month old baby with the allegation of:
"Learning Disability"
...
For real?
Are you serious?
What, did your baby not pick up potty training by their 10 month or what?
Babies... are BABIES.
Some things just take time.
(Especially that potty training thing, ..and yes I'm fully aware that 10 months is way too early for that. Please, please don't be one of those people -- just go with it).
Some people learn things at a different pace.
Just chill out and be patient and work with your child a little more.
I mean, you're not even a year into this parenting thing... you're gonna need a lot more practice with this "patience" stuff, trust me.

Some people call me and ask some of the craziest questions.
Well, not just me, but my coworkers, too.

Things like the following examples:

#1
Person: "I have a certain phobia. Can I get disability? Or do I need more than just my phobia to qualify?" (Really? You're scared of something, and you want a check. Wow. Why didn't I think of that? Oh that's right, I'm not one of those people).

#2
Person: "I'd like to speak with my lawyer." (Then call his office? lol, why'd you call us?) /shrug

#3
Me: "Your claim is still currently processing."
Person: "What does 'processing' mean?" (Same person has asked me this question the last 5 times they have called, and I have explained it each and every time).

Sometimes they call multiple times a day.
Some people just need a new hobby I guess.

Most people I talk with, unfortunately, seem to want something for nothing.
They have a certain issue in their life and they wholeheartedly believe they should qualify for disability. But come on, everyone has their own issues and problems -- it doesn't mean that you should automatically get a check every month for it.

The worst part is that, because there are SO many people that fit into the above category, they take up time by workers that really should be spent working on the cases of people that have serious health/mental issues in their lives.

My heart goes out to these people, it really does.

They are usually so sweet when I talk to them, too. You can tell they are trying their best to stay positive in the face of real adversity. They are usually dealing with unimaginable difficulties in their lives and they are the people that are the reason certain institutions like where I work even exist.

I guess, though, that I should be glad that both groups of these people call and are filing all these claims in the first place.
Without all of them, they may not have needed another person to answer calls like this:

Person: "I would like to check the status of my claim."
...a few moments later into the call...
Me: "A decision was recently made on your claim. You should receive your decision in the mail within the next few weeks -- you do have to receive all decisions in writing as we cannot disclose those over the phone."
Person: "So what was the decision?"
Me: "... you have to receive all decisions in writing."
Person: "You mean you can't just tell me?"
Me: "...... we cannot disclose decisions over the phone."
Person: "Was it good or bad?"
Me: ( ...head smacks down onto desk hopelessly... )

You have NO IDEA how often that last scenario plays out each and every week. /sigh

No comments: